Background

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cubeland

This week my office moved from Minneapolis to Saint Paul. To me, as with a lot of people I know who live in Minneapolis, Saint Paul is a completely foreign land, even though it's right next door. I definitely know Saint Paul people and others who are Minneapolis folks. Coming to this new building meant a total adjustment.  A new commute to work, new lunch spots to try and now a new workspace to get accustomed to.

While in Minneapolis, I had a cozy little office and I mean coat closet cozy that I shared with an office mate. For the past two years, we made it our own space. It felt a bit like a dorm room decorated with lamps, Christmas lights and political signs that we had collected over the years. Even though we were packed in our office like sardines, it was still our little home and saying goodbye was really hard. I said goodbye to my office and hello to my cube!

Cube life is definitely different; more noise, more distractions and less privacy. Yet even with the downsides, I was looking forward to making this new space my own.


On Sunday, with Crosby in tow, we ventured to Saint Paul to set up my new office. He wasn't much of a helper, but he was quite popular with my co-workers so it allowed me to get it all set up.

By the end of the afternoon, my cube had gone from drab to fab! (Ok, not complete fab, but had a little more personality!)





Coming to work on Monday really felt like the first day of school. Working in Cubeland will definitely be an adjustment. Like with all moves it will take some time, but I love having a new space work in and looking forward to calling this my "home".

No comments: